Bachelor thesis in the field of Dehydrogenation of LOHCs – Chemical Engineering, Chemical hydrogen storage
By bonding green-generated hydrogen to LOHCs (Liquid organic hydrogen carrier), elemental hydrogen is made transportable with multiple advantages over existing technologies. This allows to overcome large distances between energy production and consumption location via LOHC storage systems. For hydrogen release, the LOHC is dehydrogenated in an endothermic heterogen catalyzed reaction that requires a continuous heat source. Beneath the use of waste heat and the combustion of hydrogen, the exothermic partial oxidation of LOHCs is a promising
Different LOHCs are conceivable for the oxidation and dehydrogenation process, so different parameters regarding these LOHCs need to be investigated.
A Bachelor thesis in the Team „Process Units for Chemical Hydrogen Storage“.
The possibility to collaborate on an innovative and brand-new concept in the field of LOHCs.
Working in a research project team of highly motivated Post-Docs and Doctoral Candidates.
Start from 1 April 2021
Focusing on dehydrogenation of the LOHC Diphenylmethane (DPM), you will work closely with your responsible doctoral supervisor on the equipment procurement, assembly and commissioning of a glass reactor system. Topics of your thesis will be:
- Batch Experiments on the Dehydrogenation of a DPM-Biphenyl-Mix.
- Reaction progress and sample analysis
- Measurement of substance data for different DPM-Mixes in laboratory
- Determination of the influence of typical operating parameters and deriving of a first reaction kinetic correlation based on your experiments
- Further experiments for overcoming technical and reaction kinetic challenges
- Depending on your interests, minor activities in overlapping subprojects for oxidation of LOHCS
- Working towards a Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical engineering, Process Engineering or similar
- Ideally, you have initial experience with setting up technical facilities in laboratory scale (Small installations, Operation) and with general laboratory work
- Enthusiasm about heterogen catalyzed reactions with LOHC-Systems
- You are confident in the use of MS Office. First experiences in Software like MatLab, Origin or any other programming language are a plus, but not necessary.
- You convince with an independent working style, a high level of commitment as well as good communication skills
Are you interested?
Please send a very short text about your motivation via E-mail plus a CV and your current transcript of records to Michael Gundermann. If you need further information or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact.