Method and facility
In our team we have a variety of methods and equipment for the development and characterization of new catalyst materials.
The focuses of our research team are on the development of electro-catalysts and their applications in CO2 and H2O electrolysis and fuel cells based on solid electrolyte membrane. Particularly, we are aiming to develop advanced electro-catalysts based on noble and non-noble metals as well as alloys. Additionally, the design and optimization of catalyst layers (electrodes), based on advanced catalysts is a focus. The general aims are to improve energy efficiency and significantly reduce precious metal usage and thus the costs of fuel cell and electrolysis systems. In addition, we research and design catalysts for novel electrochemical reactor systems for the synthesis of energy carrier molecules.
Our research group work on the following topics:
Dr. Chuyen Pham
Building HIERN-Cauerstr / Room 3005
· C.V. Pham, D. Escalera‐López, K. Mayrhofer, S. Cherevko, S. Thiele, Essentials of High Performance Water Electrolyzers–From Catalyst Layer Materials to Electrode Engineering, Adv. Energy Mater. 11 (44) (2021), 2101998.
· A. Martin, P. Trinke, C. V. Pham, M. Bühler, M. Bierling, P.K.R. Holzapfel, B. Bensmann, S. Thiele, R. H. Rauschenbach, On the Correlation between the Oxygen in Hydrogen Content and the Catalytic Activity of Cathode Catalysts in PEM Water Electrolysis, J. Electrochem. Soc. 168 (11) (2021), 114513.
· C.V. Pham, M. Bühler, J. Knöppel, M. Bierling, D. Seeberger, D. Escalera-López, K. J.J. Mayrhofer, S. Cherevko, S. Thiele, IrO2 coated TiO2 core-shell microparticles advance performance of low loading proton exchange membrane water electrolyzers, Appl. Catal. B, 269 (2020) 118762.
· Fabrication of a Robust PEM Water Electrolyzer Based on Non‐Noble Metal Cathode Catalyst: [Mo3S13]2− Clusters Anchored to N‐Doped Carbon Nanotubes, PKR Holzapfel, M Bühler, D Escalera‐López, M Bierling, FD Speck, K. JJ Mayrhofer, S. Cherevko, C. V. Pham, S. Thiele, Small 16 (37) (2020), 2003161.
· P. Holzapfel, M. Bühler, C. V. Pham, F. Hegge, T. Böhm, D. McLaughlin, M. Breitwieser, S. Thiele, Directly coated membrane electrode assemblies for proton exchange membrane water electrolysis, Electrochemistry Communications, 110 (2020) 1066402.
· C. V. Pham, A. Zana, M. Arenz, S. Thiele, [Mo3S13]2− Cluster Decorated Sulfur‐doped Reduced Graphene Oxide as Noble Metal‐Free Catalyst for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Electrolyzers, ChemElectroChem, 5 (2018), 2672–2680.
· C. V. Pham, B. Britton, T. Böhm, S. Holdcroft, S. Thiele, Doped, Defect‐Enriched Carbon Nanotubes as an Efficient Oxygen Reduction Catalyst for Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells, Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 5 (2018), 1800184
· C. V. Pham, M. Klingele, B. Britton, K. Rao Vuyyuru, T. Unmuessig, S. Holdcroft, A. Fischer, S. Thiele, Tri-doped reduced graphene oxide as a metal-free catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction demonstrated in acidic and alkaline polymer electrolyte fuel cells, Advanced Sustainable Systems, 1 (5) (2017), 1600038.